5 Things to Know in Winchester: Snow, Preserving Family Stories & More
Check out Winchester Patch's 5 Things column for Tuesday, Jan. 22.
Here is Winchester Patch's 5 Things column for Tuesday, Jan. 22:
1. Snow and cold: Snow is expected early Tuesday morning before becoming partly sunny with highs in the upper-20s and wind gusts in the 9 to 16 miles per hour range during the day, according to the National Weather Service's forecast in Winchester. Cloud move in and temperatures drop to a low of about 7, with winds of 10 to 13 miles per hour in the evening, according to the forecast.
2. Upload your snow photos: Have you taken some great snowy photographs of Winchester? Upload them to our Pics & Clips section!
4. Need help interacting with your child? Parent to Parent Winchester is hosting three workshops on understanding and interacting with pre-teens and teenagers, and the first session is slated for 7 p.m. Tuesday at First Congregational Church of Winchester.
5. Get your widget: You're probably wondering just what is a widget and why do I need one. Well, here'a a thorough breakdown of why they're useful:
What is a widget?
A widget is a self-contained piece of HTML code that you can embed into your site to add a cool new feature. All you have to do is paste the code into your website. Patch's first widget offering is a News feed, but there are all sorts of widgets out there, including clock widgets, countdown widgets, and lots of other fun features.
Why would I want to use a widget?
Depending on what it does, a widget can add awesome functionality or content to your site, with you barely lifting a finger to get it. For example, our first Patch widget is a cool local news feed. So if you have a local business, government or school website, or maybe a local blog, the Patch News Widget can be an easy source of awesome local content for your site!
Where do I put a widget?
You can put a widget on your personal website or blog, if you have one.
How do I install the widget?
Follow the instructions to copy the widget code, and paste it directly into the HTML for your website. Pretty soon we'll offer a quick and easy way to install it onto various types of websites and blogs, but for now, try the old school copy and paste!
Can I use the widget if I don't have my own website?
No, you'll need your own website or blog to use the widget. We hope to offer other ways for you to use widgets in the future, but for now, you'll need your own website.
How can I get my own website?
That's a huge can of worms you want us to open! For now, Patch doesn't offer that service.
Will Patch be creating more cool widgets that I can put on my website?
Definitely! Stay tuned!
How can I change the color of the widget?
Right now, we don't have a way for you to change the color of the widget. But we hope to add a widget color changing feature soon!
I have no idea what you're talking about. Is any of this relevant to me?
Probably not. :)
Use Winchester Patch to connect with your neighbors:
- Share your news with the rest of the community. Click here to add an announcement.
- Add your events to our events calendar.
- Follow Winchester Patch on Facebook and Twitter.
- Sign up for our daily newsletter with the latest headlines delivered to your inbox every morning.
- Share your thoughts on your community in a blog—click "Post onPatch" and start blogging.