6 Ways to Keep Warm in Arctic Cold
Cold temperatures are predicted for the area.
The National Weather Service is calling for cold temperatures this week. Winchester will have a high near 23 today and wind chill values as low as -4, and a low around 17. High temperatures will rise about 35 starting again on Friday.
Here are some tips, courtesy of the National Weather Service, to keep in mind during this Arctic cold.
1. Minimize outdoor activities, especially for the elderly and very young.
2. Dress in several layers of loose-fitting clothing rather than a single layer of heavy clothing.
3. Wear a hat, mittens and waterproof boots. Cover your mouth with a scarf to protect your lungs.
4. When using heating sources such as fireplaces, wood stoves and space heaters, be sure to ventilate them correctly.
5. Test smoke alarms and keep carbon monoxide detectors handy.
6. Bring pets out of the cold. Don't assume they can handle the cold. If you are not warm, they are not either.