American Red Cross stepped in to help a Winchester family involved in a fire this weekend.
A single-family home at 85 Swanton St. went up in flames around 2 a.m. Sunday. Woburn firefighters and Medford's ladder truck were called to the scene as the Rapid Intervention Team.
The fire was knocked down at approximately 2:15 a.m., but this was only the beginning for the family of four.
Some parts of the house had significant smoke and water damage causing the family to need emergency shelter.
Volunteers responded to the damaged home Sunday morning to lend a helping hand, said Kat Powers of the American Red Cross.
A hotel was provided for the family by Red Cross donations along with three smoke packs and four toys for the children, Powers said. Smoke packs contain heavy-duty detergent that removes the smoke smell from clothing.
"If favorite clothing and bedding can be salvaged, that's a big comfort to those who have been through the trauma of a fire," Powers said.
Powers said Winchester residents can be part of local disaster relief with their donations and support. Visit RedCross.Org for more information.