Winchester Storm Center: Limited MBTA Services to Start at 2 p.m.
Visit Winchester Patch often for storm-related updates during the blizzard.
Here is the Winchester Storm Center where you can find regular storm-related updates during the blizzard:
Sunday, Feb. 10
- Winchester Public Schools will be closed on Monday, according to a WHDH report.
- The MBTA will have limited services starting at 2 p.m. Sunday. Find out where here.
- Kids Footstop will be open Sunday from 12-4 p.m., and snow boots are still on sale at 20 percent off, according to a post on Melrose Patch from the company.
- As of 8 a.m. Sunday, no new power outages cropped up overnight in Winchester, according to an NSTAR power outage map.
Saturday, Feb. 9
- As of 9 p.m. Saturday, there were no power outages in Winchester, according to an NSTAR power outage map.
- As of 5:40 p.m. Saturday, one NSTAR customer in Winchester was without power, according to a power outage map. At 8 p.m. Friday night, several homes in Winchester were in the dark, according to an NSTAR power outage map.
- As of 4:20 p.m. Saturday, one NSTAR customer in Winchester was without power, according to a power outage map. At 8 p.m. Friday night, several homes in Winchester were in the dark, according to an NSTAR power outage map.
- The Boston Bruins game versus the Tampa Bay Lightning Saturday night has been postponed, according an NHL press statement. "Although both Clubs and the assigned on-ice officials are in Boston, travel conditions remain too hazardous for fans, security personnel and TD Garden staff to get to the arena," reads the statement. No makeup date has been confirmed as of yet.
- Statewide driving ban to be lifted at 4 p.m. Saturday, according to Gov. Deval Patrick's Twitter account. The ban is already lifted for Nantucket County and for all communities west of I-91, according to the Twitter account.
- As of 12:45 p.m. Saturday, all NSTAR customers in Winchester had their power, according to a power outage map.
- Winchester Public Library will be closed Saturday, but it is expected to open from 2-5 p.m. Sunday, according to their Facebook page.
- Steve at Jabberwock Reptiles recently posted this update on the company's Facebook page: "Hope everyone survived the storm. I camped out at the store last night to keep an eye on everybody. Didn't have to use the generator! If you are without power and need a place to bring your reptile(s) I will be here and can watch them."
- Kidstock Creative Theater classes have been canceled Saturday, according to the theater's Facebook page.
- MBTA services will not be restored Saturday, according to multiple reports.
- As of 5:15 a.m. Saturday, all NSTAR customers in Winchester had their power, according to a power outage map. Eight NSTAR customers in Winchester had been without power at 8 p.m. Friday.
- The travel ban is still in effect until further notice, according to the Massachusetts Emergency Management Agency's Facebook page.
Friday, Feb. 8
- As of 8 p.m. Friday, several NSTAR customers in Winchester were in the dark, according to a power outage map.
- As of 4:45 p.m. Friday, no NSTAR customers in Winchester were without power, according to a power outage map. One hundred sixty-three NSTAR customers in Massachusetts were without power at that same time, according to the power outage map.
- Kids Footstop is having some fun with the storm, saying on their Facebook page, "Just for the record, we outlasted both Dunkins and Starbucks. And our last brave customer just left. Booyah!"
- As of 2:30 p.m. Friday, Stone Hearth Pizza closed all of its locations, including the one in Winchester, according to the restaurant's Facebook page.
- As of 2:15 p.m. Friday, 77 NSTAR customers in Massachusetts were without power, according to a power outage map. However, no NSTAR customers in Winchester were without power, according to the map.
- Here is a detailed explanation of the statewide driving ban that will go into effect at 4 p.m. Friday, according to the Massachusetts Emergency Management Agency Facebook page: "A ban on motor vehicle travel beginning at 4:00 PM today and continuing until further notice has been issued. There are exceptions for public safety vehicles and public safety workers, including contract personnel; public works vehicles and public works workers, including contract personnel; government officials conducting official business; utility company vehicles and utility workers; healthcare workers who must travel to and from work in order to provide essential health services; news media; travel necessary to maintain and deliver critical private sector services such as energy, fuel supplies and delivery, financial systems and the delivery of critical commodities; travel to support business operations that provide critical services to the public, including gasoline stations, food stores and hardware stores."
- Lucia Ristorante & Bar will be closed for dining service Friday due to the governor's driving ban, according to the restaurant.
- In a Friday press conference, Governor Deval Patrick said, "I have signed an executive order banning vehicle traffic effective at 4pm today."
- Tolls will stop being collected at 2 p.m. Friday.
- A reminder about the emergency parking ban.
- Winchester Transfer Station hours for Saturday through Monday can be found here.
- Winchester Town Hall will close at 12:30 p.m. Friday, according to the town website.
- Daddy Daughter Dance has been postponed. "Due to the storm this weekend the Daddy Daughter Dance has been postponed," reads a post by Winchester Recreation Department staff on the town website. "We are working with the Burlington Marriott to reschedule the dance. Once we have a confirmed new date we will contact you. Please stay safe this weekend and thank you for your understanding."
Thursday, Feb. 7
- Winchester Public Schools and St. Mary's School will be closed on Friday.
- Mahoney's Garden Center has canceled their Winter Market on Saturday in Winchester and also East Falmouth, according to a company press statement. Mahoney's also postponed their Saturday grand opening of their annual Orchid and Tropical Plant Festivals one day to Sunday, according to the statement.
- The town of Winchester will have a parking ban in place from 5 p.m. Friday until noon on Sunday, according to DPW Director Jay Gill.
- Sen. Katherine Clark, who represents Melrose, has canceled her office hours at 10 a.m. Friday at Malden’s Markey Senior Center, as well as her 11:30 a.m. office hours at Stoneham’s Council on Aging, according to a press statement.
- Gov. Deval Patrick has asked all drivers to be off the roads by noon on Friday, if possible.
- All MBTA services will be suspended at 3 p.m. Friday.
- Stop & Shop Supermarkets, which has a location in Winchester, and their gas stations will have extended hours throughout Massachusett, New Hampshire and Rhode Island Thursday until midnight, and they will re-open at 6 a.m. Friday, according to a company spokesperson.
- Winchester Public Schools Will Be Closed on Monday
- Are Winchester Roads Clear?
- Transcript: Blizzard of '13 Live Chat
- MBTA to Have Limited Subway and Bus Service Sunday
- Blizzard 2013: Storm Dealt Winchester Businesses, Residents a Blow
- Avoid a Roof Collapse: Clear Snow From Your Rooftop
- Do You Need a Hand Shoveling in Winchester?
- What Do You Think About Gov. Patrick’s Travel Ban?
- Blizzard Conditions Expected to Last Through Saturday Morning
- SHOW US: Blizzard Outside My Window
- MAP: How Much Snow Has Fallen in Winchester?
- Do You Have Power in Winchester?
- NSTAR: Several Winchester Homes Without Power
- Share Your Photos: How Much Snow Do You Have?
- Emergency Parking Ban in Effect at 5 p.m. Friday in Winchester
- 10 Ways to Use Winchester Patch During the Storm
- What is Open, Closed During the Blizzard in Winchester
- Upload Your Winchester Storm Photos
- LIVE CHAT: Blizzard of 2013
- Blizzard Warning Issued for Winchester
- Winchester Public Schools, St. Mary's School Will Be Closed on Friday
- Will Your Business Be Open During the Blizzard?
- NWS Issues Blizzard Watch for Winchester, Eastern Mass.
- 5 Things: Blizzard to Hit Winchester Area Friday
- UPDATE: NWS Issues a Blizzard Watch for Winchester Region
How to help:
- Clear hydrants and drains of snow
- Keep fences, mailboxes, basketball hoops, bike/skateboard ramps, etc. away from the edge of the road
- Don't park on the road
- Limit travel if possible
- Don't shovel, plow or blow snow back into the roadway.
- Sand and salt is available to Winchester residents at the Transfer Station on McKay Avenue.
In case your power goes out:
- To report an outage call 800-592-2000. NSTAR offers suggestions and tips of what to do in case your power is interrupted.
- In an emergency, dial 911.
- Winchester Police Department: 781-729-1214.
- The Winchester Fire Department: 781-729-1802
- NSTAR: 800-592-2000
- Public Works: 781-721-7100
- Comcast:(800) COMCAST [1-800-266-2278]
- RCN: 800.746.4726
- Verizon: 1-800-VERIZON (1-800-837-4966)
List of cab companies:
- Taxi Time: (781) 662-0300
- Malden Taxi: (781) 322-5050 and (781) 324-5050
- Malden Cab Company: (781) 322-5050
- Oak Grove Cab: (781) 665-5050
- Stoneham Taxi: (781) 279-2828
- Tan Taxi: (781) 395-6666
List of tow companies:
- Stephen's Autobody: 781-665-7828
- Andy's Service Center (Malden): (781) 324-7505
- Culleton Brothers (Malden): (781) 322-4665
- Kearney's Towing (Stoneham): (781) 438-8484
- Stoneham Towing Inc.: (781) 438-3500
- Phil Howe's Towing (Wakefield): (781) 245-2468
- Advanced Auto Transport (Wakefield): (781) 246-5831