1. Health U. is a weight loss research study for overweight teens and young adults ages 15-22 who have an intellectual disability. Eligible participants will take part in a program that includes weekly to biweekly group and individual sessions focusing on losing weight through healthy eating and increasing physical activity in ways that are fun and achievable. Parents receive training on supportive behavioral techniques to encourage their son/daughter to meet nutrition and physical activity goals.
Sessions are 90 minutes, highly interactive, and led by nutritionists and lifestyle coaches. Eligibility criteria include, but are not limited to:
· Being a healthy person ages 15-22 with an intellectual disability.
· Meeting criteria for overweight or obesity.
· Medical clearance from a primary health care provider.
· Having at least one parent/guardian who is willing to participate in the study.
**Classes begin April 2014 and are held on either Tuesday or Thursday 7:00-8:30pm**
Health U. is a free and voluntary research study funded by the National Institute of Health (NIH) through the Shriver Center at UMass Medical School.
Do you think Health U. is right for you? Please call Judith Ellen, Research Coordinator at 774-455-6540 or email firstname.lastname@example.org to find out more information.
Qualified participants may be eligible for compensation.IRB DOCKET NUMBER 14575