Here are five things you need to know today, Wednesday, Sept. 5:
1. Showers and possibly a thunderstorm today. Some of the storms could produce heavy rainfall. Patchy fog before noon. High near 80. Southwest wind 10 to 13 mph, with gusts as high as 29 mph. Chance of precipitation is 90 percent. Tonight, a chance of showers, mainly before midnight. Patchy fog after 9pm. Otherwise, mostly cloudy, with a low around 65. West wind around 6 mph becoming calm after midnight. Chance of precipitation is 30 percent. (Forecast by the National Weather Service.)
2. Winchester Public Schools back in session. It's the first day of school for Winchester students. Here's the schedule:
- Grades 1-5: Early Release
- Grades 6 and 9: 7:45-10:40 a.m.
- Grades 7-8, 10-12: 11:30 a.m.-2:15 p.m.
- PreK and K: Individual Schedule
3. Editor on vacation. Editor Lindsey Davidson is on vacation this week. Emails can be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org.
4. Educational Facilities Planning & Building Committee meets. Among the items on the EFPBC agenda tonight at 6:30 p.m. is an update on the Vinson Owen Elementary/High School project.
5. Want Winchester's latest headlines in your inbox each morning? Then sign up for our daily email newsletter. You can also sign up for breaking news alerts.
Engage with your neighbors on Winchester Patch:
- Share your news with the rest of the community. Click here to add an announcement.
- Add your events to our events calendar.
- Click here to sign up for our daily newsletter and breaking news alerts.
- Click here to follow us on Facebook or Twitter.
- Share your thoughts on your community in a blog. Click here to get started.