Here is the Winchester Patch 5 Things column for Thursday, Feb. 28:
1. Damp day: There is a 60 percent chance of precipitation Thursday, with temperatures reaching a high of about 48 during the day and a low of 33 at night, according to the National Weather Service's forecast for Winchester.
2. Meetings: The Winchester Planning Board meets at 7:30 p.m. Thursday in the Board of Selectmen's Meeting Room at Town Hall, according to the town website. The Winchester Design Review Committee also meets at 7:30 p.m. at Town Hall. Meanwhile, the Winchester Finance Committee is set to meet at 7:30 p.m. in the Mystic Valley Room.
3. In case you missed it: .
4. Widgets: You're probably wondering just what is a widget and why do I need one. Well, here'a a thorough breakdown of why they're useful:
What is a widget?
A widget is a self-contained piece of HTML code that you can embed into your site to add a cool new feature. All you have to do is paste the code into your website. Patch's first widget offering is a News feed, but there are all sorts of widgets out there, including clock widgets, countdown widgets, and lots of other fun features.
Why would I want to use a widget?
Depending on what it does, a widget can add awesome functionality or content to your site, with you barely lifting a finger to get it. For example, our first Patch widget is a cool local news feed. So if you have a local business, government or school website, or maybe a local blog, the Patch News Widget can be an easy source of awesome local content for your site!
Where do I put a widget?
You can put a widget on your personal website or blog, if you have one.
How do I install the widget?
Follow the instructions to copy the widget code, and paste it directly into the HTML for your website. Pretty soon we'll offer a quick and easy way to install it onto various types of websites and blogs, but for now, try the old school copy and paste!
Can I use the widget if I don't have my own website?
No, you'll need your own website or blog to use the widget. We hope to offer other ways for you to use widgets in the future, but for now, you'll need your own website.
How can I get my own website?
That's a huge can of worms you want us to open! For now, Patch doesn't offer that service.
Will Patch be creating more cool widgets that I can put on my website?
Definitely! Stay tuned!
How can I change the color of the widget?
Right now, we don't have a way for you to change the color of the widget. But we hope to add a widget color changing feature soon!
I have no idea what you're talking about. Is any of this relevant to me?
Probably not. :)
5. Gas up: Need to get traffic alerts and gas prices in the Winchester region? If so, check out Winchester Patch's Commute section.
Use Winchester Patch to connect with your neighbors:
- Share your news with the rest of the community. Click here to add an announcement.
- Add your events to our events calendar.
- Follow Winchester Patch on Facebook and Twitter.
- Sign up for our daily newsletter with the latest headlines delivered to your inbox every morning.
- Share your thoughts on your community in a blog—click "Post onPatch" and start blogging.