"Can I refill your eggnog for you? Get you something to eat? Drive you out to the middle of nowhere and leave you for dead?" ~Clark Griswold (Christmas Vacation)
Now that Thanksgiving is over, it's time to start thinking about Christmas. Perhaps you've started your shopping or decorating, or are heading to the stores this weekend. Or, if you are like my mother-in-law, maybe you finished all of that around Halloween. (How I wish I had her energy!) Whatever your plans may be, you deserve to treat yourself at the end of the day. This eggnog definitely fits the bill.
- 3 1/2 cups milk
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 cinnamon stick
- Pinch of ground clove
- 6 egg yolks
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1 cup spiced rum (optional)
- In a saucepan over low heat combine milk, vanilla extract, cinnamon, cinnamon stick and clove.
- Bring to a slow boil (this will take between 5-7 mins).
- Once the milk mixture starts to boil remove from heat and leave cinnamon stick in for a couple of minutes, then remove.
- Put egg yolks and sugar into a bowl.
- Using a hand held mixer, mix them until pale and fluffy.
- Pour the hot milk mixture into the egg yolks and mix on low until well mixed.
- Pour the mixture back into the pan and heat over medium heat for about 5 minutes, stirring constantly, until thick and creamy. (Make sure you don't let it boil or the eggnog will curdle.)
- Stir in the rum (optional), heavy cream and nutmeg and refrigerate overnight.
- Serve with a sprinkle of cinnamon.
(Adapted from Epicurean Mom's Egg Nog recipe)