“Five Things You Need to Know Today" is a Patch column that provides readers with essential, daily information at a glance. Check back later for more and let us know what you think of the feature in the comments section.
Today is Tuesday, May 22, 2012. Here are five things you need to know about.
1. Grey and rainy: The National Weather Service is predicting a chance of rain on a cloudy day with a high of 69. In the evening, there might be some showers before 2 a.m. and a low of 56.
2. Friends of the Middlesex Fells Reservation - Spring Wildflowers at Long Pond: Spring wildflowers are in full bloom at . Join Boot
Boutwell on a nature walk which will focus on wildflower identification as well as fun and interesting natural history. Meet at the Long Pond parking lot, South Border Road, Winchester. Steady rain cancels. For more information about this walk, call Boot Boutwell at 781-729-4712. At 9:15 a.m. to 11:30 a.m. at 532 S Border Rd.
3. Jane Blair of ArtMatters Speaks on Vincent Van Gogh: At 10:30 a.m., Jane Blair will take a close look at the paintings of Vincent Van Gogh. His life is one of the most dramatic, romantic and tragic in all of art history. His paintings are passionate, beautiful and they succeed in sharing with us, briefly, the experience of his madness. His career was very short but his gifts and his influence very great. Join us for a look at his work and the brief but brilliant flame that was his life. Nothing is stranger than the truth. This is a free event at the , 109 Skillings Rd.
4. Sanborn House Landscape: Yesterday, Today, and Tomorrow: Martha H. Lyon, ASLA, will discuss the Sanborn estate in the context of landscape design at the turn of the twentieth century and the process of preservation/rehabilitation today. Lyon was a member of the design team for the Sanborn House feasibility study in 2005 and the recent exterior restoration. Thanks to a grant from the Griffin Foundation, she will be developing a master plan for land around the Sanborn House during the coming year. This is a free event at the , 15 High St. at 7 p.m.
5. School Committee Meeting: The Winchester School Committee is meeting at 7 p.m. at the Auditorium. Regular Meeting Agenda: Public Comment; Approval of Minutes; Vote on Redistricing Plan - 6/7/12; New Business; Old Business; Superintendent Reports; School Committee Reports.