“Five Things You Need to Know Today" is a Patch column that provides readers with essential, daily information at a glance. Check back later for more and let us know what you think of the feature in the comments section.
Today is Monday, Feb. 13. Here are five things you need to know.
- Not as cold: After a dip in temperature over the weekend, it should warm up again this week. According to the National Weather Service, the high for Monday is expected to be 37 degrees. It should be mostly sunny throughout the day, and by Monday night temperatures should drop to 25 degrees.
- Annie Registration: Registration for an upcoming musical theater performance of "Annie" is open to all Winchester residents in grades 3-8. Performances are May 12-13 at Arlington Town Hall. Please register on-line at www.menotomymusicaltheater.com The registration deadline is Feb. 14. Contact Michele Clifford at email@example.com with questions.
- Citizen of the Year: The Winchester Chamber of Commerce Board of Directors is seeking nominations from the community for qualified candidates for the Citizen of the Year award. For the past 32 years, the Chamber has honored someone who was chosen for making a significant contribution toward the improvement of the business community or the overall quality of life in Winchester through his or her work. In May, there will be an evening set aside to honor this special person. The recipient’s name will be announced at the Annual Meeting of the Chamber in April. Please send letters of recommendation by Saturday, March 31 to firstname.lastname@example.org or Winchester Chamber of Commerce, 25 Waterfield Road, Winchester, MA 01890. For information, please call the Chamber at 781-729-8870.
- Voter Registration: Citizens who qualify and are interested to can do so in person at the Town Clerk’s Office, Monday to Friday, 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. Additionally, you may register up until 8 p.m. on Wednesday, Feb. 15, at the Town Clerk’s Office. Mail-in Voter Registration cards are available at the Winchester Post Office and the Winchester Public Library. Registrations must be postmarked by Feb. 15 in order to be eligible to vote in the March 6th Presidential Primary.
- Absentee ballots: Absentee ballots for the March 6 Presidential Primary will be available on Wednesday, Feb. 8. Registered voters who expect to be out of town on Election Day, between 7 a.m. and 8 p.m. when the polls are open, or who are unable to get to the polls because of illness or physical disability, may apply for an absentee ballot, which will be mailed to them as soon as Wednesday, Feb. 8. Requests for ballots must be in writing, and signed by the voter or an immediate family member.
To find out what is going on today in Winchester, check out our events listings.