“Five Things You Need to Know Today" is a Patch column that provides readers with essential, daily information at a glance. Check back later for more and let us know what you think of the feature in the comments section.
Today is Friday, Oct. 14. Here are five things you need to know:
- Rain, possible thunderstorms: It’s supposed to rain throughout the day, according to the National Weather Service, and thunderstorms could move through the area as well. Temperatures should be in the mid to high 60s during the day and drop to the mid 50s at night.
- Drive safe: With heavy rain expected, check out these from the Massachusetts State Police.
- Weekend events: Still don’t know what to do this weekend? Check out yesterday’s . Events in town include the Historical Society’s fundraiser, the Farmers’ Market and Environmental Fair, a Harvest Ball at the Jenks Center and the Spelling Bee at Next Door Theater.
- Sachems in action: Today, the 1-4 football team will take on 1-4 Belmont at 6 p.m. on the road; the 8-3-1 field hockey team will host 5-4-1 Arlington at 3:45 p.m.; and the 6-4 girls’ volleyball team will have their hands full with 8-1 Reading at 5:30 p.m. at home. Tomorrow, the 9-1-1 boys’ soccer team will host 4-3-4 Reading at 2 p.m., and the 8-2-2 girls’ soccer team will be at 9-1 Central Catholic at 7:45 p.m.
- “Like” us: If you haven’t done so already, be sure to head to the Winchester Patch Facebook page and become a fan.
To find out what is going on today in Winchester, check out our events listings.