Don't forget to scroll to the bottom and take our poll.
The town , and according to the results, the Board of Selectmen and Planning Board were told that the lack of parking is hurting retail and restaurant sales and makes it difficult for clients to reach professional services.
According to the report, a market study of the town center estimated that Winchester residents spend approximately $371 million a year on retail and restaurants, but approximately $264 million per year is spent outside the town.
The draft report also said that 60 percent of people surveyed said that they have left the Town Center when they couldn’t find parking.
- Provide free 1-hour parking in the center.
- Provides free 90-minute parking in the municipal center.
- Provide pay-and-display
- Sell parking permits to Town Center employees who want to park close to the center.
- Provide free permits to employees who park a few blocks from the Center.
- Designate staff parking near Town Hall, the Jenks and the Library.
- Designate school parking areas around Lincoln and McCall.
- Sell permits to residents commuters.
- Provide free permits to Town Center residents that live within parking zones.
- Provide free overnight parking permits for town lots to Town Center residents.
- Designate resident-only permit parking areas.
Potential Pay Zones
- Red Zone (commercial streets in the center)
- One hour-free parking
- Enforced 8 a.m. to 6 p.m. Monday to Friday and 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. on Saturday.
- Commercial area (Shore Rd Lot, Lawaway Lot, Waterfield and Aberjona): free pay-and-display free for first hour, .50 cents for the second hour and escalating hourly rates.
- Municipal Area (Mt. Vernon, Town Hall, Library Lots): free pay-and-display first 90 minutes, .50 cents the next hour with escalating hourly rates.
- Orange Zone (Cullen, Waterfield, Aberjona South and Wedgemere Lots)
- Permit-only parking at price consistent with commuter parking in other communities.
- Free for Town Center Employees and Winchester residents.
- Yellow Zone (Shore Rd, Mt. Vernon, Aberjona South, Vine/Elmwood and Dix Street)
- Permit-only parking from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. Monday to Friday.
- Free to current Town Center employees.
- Free to residents who live on those streets (limit one permit per registered vehicle).
- Green Zone 1 (WHS, Ciacia Field, Skillings Rd and McCall MS)
- Permit-only parking from 8 a.m. to 2 p.m.
- Free to faculty and staff.
- Available for a fee to students (potentially $300, the same it costs to pay for busing).
- Green Zone 2 (MVP, and Main Street across from Lincoln)
- Permit-only parking before 9 a.m. and general parking after 9 a.m.
- Passenger loading and unloading between 8 a.m. and 9 a.m. and 2 p.m. and 3 p.m.
- Enforced Monday to Friday.
Are you one of the 60 percent that has left the Town Center because you couldn't find a spot? Let us know by answering our poll or voicing your thoughts in the comments section.