On Monday, Jan. 20, Massachusetts observes Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.'s birthday (actually on Jan. 15).
While King's Birthday is one of 10 holidays recognized by the federal government, the feds don't require employers to pay workers for this holiday from work. Businesses traditionally provide their employees with a paid holiday as part of a benefits package because most other employers do the same.
And according to the Massachusetts Secretary of State's office, business and commercial activities may operate as usual.
Here's a look at what's open and closed on Martin Luther King Jr. Day in Winchester:
• Winchester town offices
• Winchester Public Library
• Winchester schools
• Post offices and regular deliveries.
• Bank offices; although some branches will be open in certain supermarkets.
• Many businesses
• Convenience stores
• Establishments that sell beer and wine are also allowed to be open.
• Buses will operate on a Saturday schedule, including the 132 Route bus will operate. Some bus routes will not run (full list here).
• Commuter rail trains will operate on its regular weekday schedule.
• Subway lines will operate on a Saturday schedule.