Winchester resident Glen Doherty, one of four Americans killed during a terror attack in Libya in September, will have his number 20 retired during a ceremony Thursday night at Winchester High School.
The ceremony is slated for 6:30 p.m. Thursday at the High School Field House. Doherty's number will be added to the Wall of Honor next to Joe Bellino (No. 27), Joe Murphy (No. 22) and Chris Mitropoulos's number 44, according to a press statement from the Winchester High School Parent Faculty Association.
Doherty was one of four Americans killed in a terror attack at the U.S. Consulate in Benghazi, Libya on Sept. 12, 2012.
Barbara Doherty, Glen Doherty's mother, will be attending the ceremony, and Winchester High wrestling coach Larry Tremblay is expected to give a brief speech, according to the statement.
Tremblay was Glen's wrestling coach in the mid-80s, the statement adds.
Doherty was a former Navy SEAL working for a private security company while living near San Diego, CA.
As a 1988 Winchester High School graduate, Doherty was a member of the tennis and wrestling teams while in school. His family still resides in neighboring Woburn and Marblehead.
Winchester and Woburn Police Honor Guards will be participating in the ceremony, according to the statement.
After the ceremony, the Winchester wrestling team will host Woburn.
Paying Tribute to Doherty
To honor Doherty, the Winchester wrestling team will be donning camouflage uniforms during their events scheduled through Feb. 17.
"We will do this each winter to keep Glen's memory alive and to educate our student-athletes on the exemplary life he led," reads the statement.
Camouflage sweatshirts ($35) and t-shirts ($10) will be sold and proceeds from the sales will benefit the Glen Doherty Memorial Foundation, according to the statement. The clothing can be purchased at Winchester High School through February.
Replica game jerseys ($80 for hockey, $70 for basketball) that Sachems players will be wearing will also be sold to benefit the foundation.
Schedule of WHS Sports
- Retiring ceremony - 6:30 p.m., Winchester wrestling vs Woburn - 7 p.m.
- Winchester boys' basketball vs Reading - 7 p.m.
- Winchester wrestling vs North Andover - TBA
- Winchester boys' hockey vs Belmont - 4 p.m.
- Winchester girls' basketball vs Belmont - 7 p.m.
- Winchester girls' hockey vs Woburn - 6 p.m., Winchester boys' hockey vs Woburn - 8 p.m.
- Winchester girls' hockey vs Lexington - 6 p.m.
- Winchester boys' hockey vs Lexington - 8 p.m.
- Winchester boys' basketball vs Lexington - 7 p.m.
- Winchester girls' basketball vs Arlington - 7 p.m. (Senior Night)
- Winchester boys' hockey vs Norwood - 6 p.m.
- Winchester girls' hockey vs St. Mary's - 5 p.m.
- Winchester Native Killed in Libya Attack
- Libya Attack Victim's Family Asks for Privacy
- Community Mourns Glen Doherty