Dr. Adam Naylor, leader of Telos Sport Psychology Consulting and faculty member at Boston University, will talk about how to make sports a lifelong adventure. Dr. Naylor’s talk is geared toward parents of children of all ages involved in a sport or multiple sports, and his presentation is especially pertinent with the start of the school year and fall youth and high school sports.
Dr. Naylor’s presentation will address the following:
- developmentally appropriate goals for children at the various stages of their involvement in sports,
- nurturing confident student-athletes,
- preventing burnout,
- improving communication and trust within sports communities,
- parents’ communication with children that focuses on attitude rather than simply winning and losing
- how parents can manage their own emotions regarding competition, and
- how parents can help their children keep sports related issues in perspective.
Dr. Naylor brings over fifteen years of applied sport psychology experience (Olympic, professional, collegiate and elite junior). He is the leader of Telos Sport Psychology Coaching, a Clinical Assistant Professor at Boston University and the Column Editor of Sport Psychology and Counseling for The International Journal of Athletic Therapy and Training.
Funding for this program has been made possible by generous donations to Parent to Parent's Direct Appeal. Parent to Parent is a community-based, non-profit organization which has provided education, support, and networking opportunities to Winchester parents since 1982. The organization seeks to enhance family communication, increase parents' understanding of their child's development, and strengthen the relationship between family and school. Parent to Parent typically hosts 10 or more programs for parents during the school year on a wide range of topics that are of interest to parents in the community.